Friday, October 29, 2010

The Cookie Carnival: October Challenge 2010- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chip Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF
I put up a buch of pumpkin puree in the freezer last fall (2009)... I'm not kidding, it was a TON! I still have some to use up so I was excited that one of the options for this months Cookie Carnival challenge was for something that used pumpkin.  I hope more challenges come up using pumpkin.... just between you and me, I bought four sugar pumpkins this week that I will be steaming and putting up ;-)  One day my freezer will completely break down and I'll be in a world of trouble with all the vegies and fruits I have put up.

Any way, back to the cookies!  The recipe for Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies, is found on this wonderful blog run by Jamie of  My Baking Addiction.   I made a few changes but all in all this is a fabulous cookie recipe!

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

yield   48 cookies
  my changes are found in italics
Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter; softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar  (I used dark brown sugar)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup pure pumpkin puree ( if using frozen puree, like I had, be sure to thaw and allow puree to drain, using cheese cloth, to removed built up moisture from the freezing process)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cherries; roughly chopped   ( I used Craisins as I always seem to have those on hand)



Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter, Brown sugar and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. I generally find this process to take about five to seven minutes.
3. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract; mix well. Add flour mixture; combine until all ingredients are incorporated. Fold in white chocolate chips and dried cherries (or Craisins).
4. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
     Storage: Cookies store well in an airtight container for up to three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment