Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Daring Cook Challenge: November is Souffle month

Print Friendly and PDF
I am running so behind these past months.  I don't quite know what my problem is.  I did put this up in the forum (a day late) but still wanted to post it on my blog.

Blog-checking lines: Dave and Linda from Monkeyshines in the Kitchen chose Soufflés as our November 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge! Dave and Linda provided two of their own delicious recipes plus a sinfully decadent chocolate soufflé recipe adapted from Gordon Ramsay’s recipe found at the BBC Good Food website.

I have never eaten a souffle or made one before so I didn't quite know what to expect.  I'm hoping this recipe I found for a single souffle is indeed an actual souffle.  Based on what I've heard and read about souffles, I'm thinking this recipe is not that far off the mark (if indeed it is).  I believe it could have used another minute in the oven and it would have been perfect.  I was afraid to try putting it back into the oven once we had removed it.  Any way, it was absolutely delicious!  My hubby and I had a great time eating this delight before breakfast! 

Single serve chocolate souffle
1 6oz or 8 oz ramekin.  (mine was a 6 oz and I think a bigger one
 would have produced better results)
1 small piece of parchment paper (to make a collar on your ramekin)
1/4 cup (2oz) chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
1 Tb unsalted butter
2 Tb granulated white sugar
1 Tb all purpose flour
2 Tb Half&Half   (I didn't have half and half so I substituted
some Chocolate Mint Truffle Coffee Creamer... hey, it worked!)
1 egg yolk
2 egg whites

DirectionsPrepare your ramekin for your chocolate souffle for one. Grease the inside of the ramekin with the 1 TB butter (You will not use all the butter but save it) and coat with the 2 TB granulated sugar. (Sugar will stick to butter on the inside of the ramekin. You will have some left over at the bottom, again save it)
Create a collar around your ramekin by wrapping a piece of parchment paper around the outside and securing with a piece of tape. The parchment paper will support the souffle as it bakes,
allowing it to rise.
  Melt the chocolate with the leftover butter and half&half in the microwave for approximately 1 minute. Add the flour and egg yolk and stir to combine.
 In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the excess sugar from the ramekin and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
Add approximately 1/3 of egg whites to chocolate mixture to lighten the chocolate. Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites with a spatula until combined. Do not over mix as this will deflate the egg whites.
Pour the mixture into the prepared souffle dish. Bake in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes to produce a souffle with a slightly molten center. If desired, cook longer. Serve immediately with your garnish of choice. Personally, I think a spoon is all the garnishment this delight needed!


No comments:

Post a Comment