Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lasagne Soup

Print Friendly and PDF
I have been waiting for the perfect time to try this recipe...this was the day.  Too much snow and freezing cold temperatures - could that make for a better day to have soup? I found this recipe over on Paula Deen's web site but had to make several alterations to make it palatable for my picky family.
I'm just going to post the recipe with my adaptation but I encourage you to take a look at the original recipe, too.

Not Quite Lasagne Soup
adapted from Paula Deen

1 pound Jimmy Dean Italian Sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped (Ok, this would have been perfect for me so I included it in recipe.  Had to leave out for hubby though)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
2 cans Swanson's Reduced Sodium chicken broth
2 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes with basil and olive oil (regular petite diced tomatoes would work great too... I just love these!)
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
4 ounces slightly broken egg noodles
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

In a Skillet combine sausage and onion; just before completely browning add the garlic, finish browning.  Drain off grease.
In a large sauce pan: stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt (1/2 teaspoon if desired. I didn't think it needed it). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add sausage mixture and reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes.
Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Preheat broiler.
Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly.

To make again I would make the following changes:
  I would add the parmesan along with the mozzarella... going lighter on the mozzarella.  I found that to much of the cheese sunk to the bottem and just became heavy.  I would cook the pasta separately from the soup and put the pasta into the bowls then add the soup.  Cooking it the above way my noodles drank up most of the liquid after setting for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment