Thursday, March 24, 2011

tie dye cupcakes


Standing in the checkout line my eyes glanced over and I saw a picture of the most amazing looking cupcakes. Betty Crocker has a small booklet out titled "Best Cupcakes and Cakes," available until April first, and let's face it... if it has cupcakes on it than I'm on it!
 While a bit tedious, it was rather simple to do.  You take a basic white cake mix and make the batter according to the instructions.  Next, divide the batter into 3 to 6 colors... the Betty Crocker version has six colors but I only wanted to work with three.  Add a different food color to each  bowl. Place 1 level teaspoon of each color batter into each muffin cup, layering your colors until all the batter is gone.  It is important to not stir the batter in the muffin cups!!! 

Each cup will be only about half full.... I find that to be a good amount especially for when I use a boxed cake mix.  Bake at 350degrees F.  for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely before frosting,

Now here comes the tricky part... use the largest size of disposable decorating bag that you can find.  I only had a small size one and getting my three colors of frosting in there was a real pain!  Unfortunately I do not have any pictures showing the frosting technique as I was unable to juggle both the decorating and the frosting at the same time.  I used my Wilton 1M star tip, but the instructions call for the #6 star tip.  I also cheated and used the 2 containers of Betty Crocker Rich and Creamy white frosting that the instructions called for... yes, a store bought frosting. Although I prefer a homemade frosting, It is perfectly ok to go the lazy route from time to time; especially when its for kids! LOL!
Place spoonfuls of each color of frosting (I used the same three colors I used for my cake batter and the instructions only used 3 colors as well) side by side in bag, alternating colors and working up from tip of bag.  Do not stir colors together.  Pipe frosting clockwise for 3 rotations, working toward the center and ending in a small peak.   


They turned out pretty cool and the kids loved it!!!!

7 comments:

  1. is this kismet? I just got on to google the Betty Crocker tie dye cupcake recipe to show a friend because I'm making them tomorrow. and you just posted this today? how funny!

    I have the Betty Crocker booklet from the grocery store and I wasn't sure how to alternate the frosting. I'm going to do the traditional rainbow colors and I'm doing it as a cake, the big cupcake cake style. wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, you posted it yesterday, but still, the timing! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these cupcakes. Sooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! Love the pastel colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try these for easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUPER glad you posted this recipe! I saw the Betty Crocker booklet in stores and didn't buy it - how silly!! Then while over a friends' house, I watched her separate and dye the frosting...by the time I went back to the grocery store ALL the booklets were sold!!! Thanks to you I am super stoked to be baking these cupcakes for my family as their Easter dessert. I even went all out and bought some stylish pastel, jewel cut (?) cocktail picks to adorn them.... can't wait to post pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am baking these today for my daughters birthday. I love your colors. They are more girly for her instead of the rainbow ones. I am so excited. Thanks for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete