Monday, December 19, 2011

Cooky - Candies


My mom loves Christmas and she loved baking Christmas goodies. Standing for long periods of time no longer works for her, so I carry on the baking tradition for her (oh darn, eh!!!!) I have great memories of her and I being in the kitchen.  Of course, being a sprinkle addict you can imagine how happy I was helping her out with holiday cookies!  I'm sure I got more sprinkles on the floor than I did on the cookies (I know my kids did!) but what great memories.
This recipe is from my all time favorite cookie book, "Betty Crocker's Cooky Book".  Though the pictures are a bit dated, the recipes remain down right delicious!
Cooky - Candies
Betty Crocker's Cooky Book

1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup rolled oats

Frosting
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate pieces 
1/4 cup milk 
     OR
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla, if desired
Food color, if desired


Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Mix butter, sifted sugar, and vanilla well.
Add sifted flour,  salt and rolled oats into butter mixture.
Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into rounds, balls, crescents, triangles and bars. 
Bake on ungreased baking sheet 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden around edges.
Let cool or wire rack.

Chocolate Glaze:
Melt chocolate; add milk; blend until smooth.  
Dip cookie tops in chocolate; then dip into desired toppings.

Powdered Sugar Glaze
Combine powdered sugar, water, butter, corn syrup and vanilla in small bowl;
 mix until powdered sugar is moistened. 
Beat at medium speed until smooth, adding additional water, if necessary,
 to reach desired spreading consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.

Glaze cooled cookies. Let stand until hardened (6 hours or overnight).

No comments:

Post a Comment