Monday, February 8, 2010

Fifteen Recipes to Make Before You Die

I kept seeing this posted on some favorite foodie blogs and I just had to go visit the article they were referring to myself at myrecipes.  I'm rather pleased with myself that I have done most of the fifteen foods they gave:

1.   Yeast Breads   Yep, I have made my own yeast breads.  In fact, my favorite bread book at this moment is called "Healthy Breads in Five Minutes" which you can read more about here at artisanbreadinfive.com.

2.   Beef Tenderloin Steaks   Not sure if I made these before or not since we always go for the less expensive meats.  Will have to put this on my to do list.

3.   Créme Brûlée   Last year my husband bought me the torch to make this and I still haven't done it! For shame on me!  (Success!  July 18, 2011  Check out my Chai Tea Creme Brulee recipe!)

4.   Cream Pie   Lemon Meringue and Chocolate Cream pies are favorites in this house.  Check this one off the list.

5.   Fudge   Every Christmas fudge gets made.

6.   Cream Puffs   While I have made the pastry before, I have not made an honest to goodness tradtional filling.  This one goes in the must make pile.    completed 5/2010

7.   Crown Roast   I know this isn't in my current food budget so will put this one in the "dream on" pile! 

8.   Fried Chicken   Hubby's favorite meal but I want to try making the chicken soaking it over night in butter milk.  In my to do list.  Made the chicken with buttermilk 3/10

9.   Roux   Oh yeah... Roux and I are old time buddies

10.  Pasta and Cream Sauce   I've made several cream sauce and pasta dishes and have the thighs to show for it.

11.  Roasted Turkey and Gravy   Turkey doesn't scare me!  We have roasted turkey several times through out the year. 

12.  Chocolate Pudding   Make this often but still seeking the one killer recipe I know is out there.

13.  Layer Cake   Yep. Been there, done that.

14.  Souffle   On my to do list     completed 11/2010

15.  Chicken Stock   I've made it and it isn't worth the effort (in my opinion). **Update** March 2010 made Alton Brown's Chicken stock for a daring cooks challenge and it is to die for!!

        Since I have made so many of these foods I went in search of other recipes I would like to make before I die and came up with these:

16.   Poulet au Porto [Roast Chicken Steeped with Port Wine, Cream, and Mushrooms

17.   Beef Bourguignon

18.   Mayonnaise

19.   Coq au Vin

20.   Beef Wellington

21.   Croquembouche  completed 5/2010

22.   Graham crackers

23.   Baked  Alaska   completed 8/2010

24.   Marshmallows  completed 12/10
 
     I have my work cut out for me! Will keep you posted as I try my hand at these recipes.  I love to be in the kitchen as it brings me such joy - which reminds me of one of my favorite Bible verses:
Philippians 4:4   Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
    
My little grandbaby is one of my biggest joys... isn't she a cutie!

No comments:

Post a Comment