Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cookie Carnival Challenge: Coconut Cherry Bars

Print Friendly and PDF
This are absolutely heavenly!!
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about baby!  These bars are the best! What an excellent choice for this month's challenge.  I altered the recipe a bit as I usually do.  Sorry, but I just don't do maraschino cherries - those are just nasty! Besides, why use a jar product when fresh cherries are available??  Didn't make sense to me.  I had a bag of sweet cherries just calling out to me to be used.  The only problem was that my mom and  I are the only coconut fans in the house so we ended up eating the entire pan!

The recipe for the Coconut Cherry Bars, done the Betty Crocker way, is available here. I'm going to put the recipe down that I adapted.  Enjoy!
Coconut Cherry Bars
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup chopped almonds
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup pitted and chopped cherries
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
1.Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 8- or 9-inch square pan.
2.In medium bowl, mix 1 cup flour, the butter and powdered sugar with spoon until flour is moistened. Press mixture in pan. Bake 10 minutes.
3.In medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread over baked layer.
4.Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. I cut twenty square pieces.

Now go bake some!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment