Friday, February 18, 2011

Have the Cake challenge 2/2011 : Romeo and Juliet Cake

Print Friendly and PDF
This month's Have the Cake Challenge was to make a Romeo and Juliet cake.  What's that??? You've never heard of it?  That's ok, it was a new one to me as well. Sugar Plum Fairy found this recipe on the Chocorango blog and asked that we make this as festive for Valentine's day as possible.  As luck would have it, I have two birthdays in February; one on Valentine's day and the other on the 15th. I made this cake for my mother in-law's birthday.... actually, I made little individual cakes using the heart shape cupcake pan I have. I had to reduce the cooking time to 16 minutes (rotating the pans after 8 minutes) and the directions were a bit confusing so I ended up winging a few things. There's milk in the recipe, but the directions here or on the site this was taken from said when to add it. I decided that I would combine the milk and oil and where the directions stated to add the oil that's when I put it in. Also, I didn't know what to do with the guava jelly... that probably sounds stupid since the obvious answer is to put it on the cake. However, the jelly is.. well, its jelled. So to make it spreadable I added some water into a small pan and then added the jelly to warm it together and liquefy it. While it was still quite hot, I dipped the little cake tops into it. Having the paste would have been better, I'm sure of it. But I was lucky to find the jelly in our area so jelly it was.

Romeo and Juliet Cake3 large eggs
200g sugar
200g flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp baking powder
20g grated parmesan cheese
200ml milk
40ml oil
Topping
300g goiabada cubed (guava paste)
water

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a 22cm round pan. Sift the flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Set aside.
Beat the eggs with sugar for 10 minutes in high speed. Beat for more 2 minutes in slow speed. Fold in the sifted ingredients. (It was at this stage that I combine the milk and oil together) Mix in 1/4 of batter the oil. Fold in the remaining batter and mix the grated parmesan.
Spoon into the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Cover with goiabada.
   Topping
Melt the goiabada with water. Let boil, stirring until reduce. Let cool slightly and cover the cake.
  I added a bit of water to the jelly in a small saucepan... thinned it out and then topped the cake with it.
Serve: 8 portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment