Thursday, February 24, 2011

roasted cauliflower

Print Friendly and PDF

      I am not a huge vegetable fan.  I can eat them when they are covered in sauces and some of them I'll eat raw, but to be honest with you, vegetables have not been my highest priority.  In fact, the only reason vegetables get served every day is because my mother lives with us and she loves her vegies!  
     One reason I decided to take on food challenges is to enrich my palate and try things I might not have ever tried.  Traveling to other countries has also helped increase my digestive adventures!  Slowly my toleration of vegetables is expanding and one recipe I have recently tried was a huge hit; roasted cauliflower.  Cauliflower just is icky not very tasty.... well, that has always been my opinion anyway!
      I researched several recipes and combined what I thought would be most appealing to my family. Most recipes just called for either olive oil only or butter.  I combined a bit of both, since I knew the butter would help crisp up the cauliflower, as well as adding a bit of finely grated Parmesan cheese.  This recipe will definitely be served again!

Roasted Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons butter, melted
olive oil ( I mixed the butter with about 3 tablespoons and had plenty of the mixture left over)
Salt and pepper 
finely ground Parmesan cheese ( I used 1/4 cup)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  
Cut the Cauliflower into florets, I cut them into half so that I had a flat side to lay flat against the baking sheet. I gently rinsed off the florets in a colander so that the cauliflower didn't get soggy.  I went with the method of lining the baking sheet with tinfoil then I lightly coated the tinfoil with the olive oil and butter mixture. Next, in a single layer, place the florets flat side down.  Using a pastry brush, coat the florets with the remaining butter/oil mixture using as little or much as you desire.  Sprinkle the florets with some salt and freshly ground pepper (again, to taste).
Place baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven and cook for 15 minutes.  Transfer baking sheet to the top rack of the oven and bake for another 5 minutes (or until the tops get the carmelization that you desire.  Remove from oven and Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Best if served warm.

1 comment:

  1. wow all your pics look so fantastic!!! clean and elegant. great job! I did a cheese-cake type panna cotta :)
    ButtercreamBarbie

    ReplyDelete