Monday, May 14, 2012

SRC: Veggie Converter's Pumpkin Waffles

The surgeon I am seeing has asked me to drop forty pounds and begin the process of what will eventually be three weeks of liquid protein diet.  Yeah, doesn't sound like fun and really isn't.  But it is what it is and I will follow the docs orders.  Thankfully My Secret Recipe Club Blog this month was with my new found love, The Veggie Converter .  To quote her site's theme it is " One vegetarian mom + one meat-eating dad and two undecided kids = a challenge to create meals that incorporate more whole foods into the family's blended-eater lifestyle". How convenient for me, eh??! LOL!  It sure made my life a whole lot easier having to pick something from this heavenly site rather than a dessert based site (kind of like mine LOL!) 
I still want to try her Black Bean Soup, Zucchini Quinoa Burgers, and Butterbean Ragout Tortilla Casserole. But when it came to finalizing my decision I went with something I knew the whole family would love; Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
Knowing that my husband prefers a more fluffy waffle, I changed things up a bit by whipping up my egg whites and folding them into the batter.  This did indeed produce more of a light and fluffy batter which made him very happy.  I also used regular all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat since it is what I had on hand.

Light and Fluffy Pumpkin Waffles
adapted from Veggieconverter.com

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling! there is a difference!)
2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions 
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients; flour, brown sugar, baking power, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Mix together to combine.
Next, add the egg yolks, pumpkin, milk and oil. Mix until just combine.
I did a double recipe which is why you will see four eggs and not two!
In a second bowl, whip up the egg whites to stiff peaks.  Gently fold into wet mixture.
Pour about 3/4 cup waffle batter into your waffle iron and cook to desired brownness. Repeat.


Recipe yields about 10 servings.

2 comments:

  1. These waffles look yummy! I can't wait to get my own waffle iron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome waffels that we would really enjoy!
    Cooking with you in the SRC-B
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete