Friday, March 19, 2010

Sunny Day Rhubarb Crunch

A have the three most awesome children (biased, I know) and love them to death.  Our youngest is the only one left at home now and so I end up making a lot of his favorite foods.  I took a peek out our window this morning and saw that our rhubarb plant is starting to come up.  Seeing as I still had some bags of rhubarb in the freezer to use up, I thought I would put together one of my son's favorite desserts;
Grandma Helen's Rhubarb Crunch

for topping:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
filling:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups rhubarb, cut in 1" pieces (4 cups fresh,
but I like to use 6 cups if rhubarb is frozen)
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced

Directions 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Crumb together topping ingredients and set aside.
If using frozen rhubarb, thaw and drain liquid and place into a 9-in x13-in baking pan;
 top with sliced strawberries.

 On stove, in medium sauce pan combine sugar, water and cornstarch. Cook until thick and clear. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour sauce over rhubarb and sprinkle crumb mixture over rhubarb.
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until golden brown and juice is bubbling.
If It's all bubbly and golden brown then its down.... MMMM. smells so yummy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment