Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tis' the Irish Soda Bread

St. Patricks Day is a good day to post this recipe but believe me; any time you cook up this yum-a-licious loaf of bread.  I did make it St. Patty's day its just I didn't get around to posting it until now :-)
I found this recipe for Irish Soda Bread on Allrecipes.com.  However, my husband would kill me if I made the bread with raisins and the combination of raisin and caraway seeds just sounded weird to me.  Of course, the recipe got hundreds of good reviews so that goes to show you what I know!

Irish Soda Bread
adapted by Vivian

Ingredients needed:
1/2 cup white sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch round cast iron skillet or a 9 inch round baking or cake pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour (reserving 1 tablespoon), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins and caraway seeds. In a small bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk and sour cream. Stir the liquid mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Knead dough in bowl about 10 to 12 strokes. Dough will be sticky. Place the dough in the prepared skillet or pan and pat down. Cut a 4x3/4 inch deep slit in the top of the bread. Dust with reserved flour .
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 65 to 75 minutes. Let cool and turn bread onto a wire rack


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment