Thursday, July 28, 2011

Greek Penne pasta with Chicken


I wasn't sure I would be able to do the monthly challenge this month, but, as luck would have it, I did a dish that fits the criteria. We were challenged to make a dish using farmer's market ingredients

This is the first year I have been successfully able to grow herbs.  I guess the lousy start to the summer we had was good for something!  I made this dish last night and even my non-veggie husband ate two servings!  I liked the fact that it had no true "sauce" to it, only what the vegetables and feta cheese made.  Hubby thought it could use a bit of an Alfredo like sauce but the rest of us thought it was perfect as is!
Greek Penne and Chicken
adapted from this recipe by Jenny at allrecipes.com

  • 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (I had only a walla walla sweet on hand)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
  • 14 ounces marinated artichoke hearts (I rinsed them to remove some of the oil)
  • 1 -15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste


Directions

  1. In a large pot with boiling salted water cook penne pasta until al dente. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat melt butter, add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add chopped chicken and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
  3. Reduce heat to medium- low. Drain and chop artichoke hearts and add them, tomato, feta cheese, fresh parsley, lemon juice, oregano, and drained penne pasta to the large skillet. Cook until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment