Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Daring Cooks' July Challenge: My Noodle hands! Spaetzle



Blog-checking lines: Steph from Stephfood was our Daring Cooks' July hostess.  Steph challenged us to make homemade noodles without the help of a motorized pasta machine.  She provided us with recipes for Spätzle and Fresh Egg Pasta as well as a few delicious sauces to pair our noodles with!

Having made egg noodles before, I knew that I would have to create something new for this challenge.  Along with being challenged to make pasta, Steph also wanted us to do something from our heritage. I don't know why, but while I always wanted to try spaetzle, the thought of making it scared me.  I guess that in my head I just made it seem so complicated.  Well guess what.... it isn't!  And I can kick myself for not having tried this years ago!  The dough in itself is very bland but that just gives you a large canvas to experiment with.  I went for a simple Spaetzle in brown butter and sage sauce.

Spaetzle in Sage Brown Butter

3/4 cup cold milk
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 fresh sage leaves, Chiffinod
2 fresh sage leaves



Bring to a boil a large pot of salted water. Combine milk, eggs, and nutmeg in processor; blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add salt and flour pulsing until batter is just smooth, about 30 seconds (batter will be very thick and sticky). Since I don't have a food processor, I just whisked the eggs and blended in the nutmeg and flour.  


 
Working in batches, pour batter through slotted spoon or grater held above boiling water, pressing with spatula to form strands. Stir gently to prevent sticking.  Simmer until Spaetzle float to surface, then continue cooking 1 minute longer.Using slotted spoon, transfer spaetzle to large buttered baking dish. (Can be made 2 hours ahead). Let stand at room temperature.)



Cook butter and Sage in heavy large skillet over medium  heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes.  Add Spaetzle and toss until heated through.  Season with salt and pepper.

Divide among plates. garnish with fresh sage.
Optional: One small sautéed onion diced in the butter.

You can see the butter starting to brown

Grab a fork and dig in!

4 comments:

  1. Your spatzle look wonderful, they are the next noodle on my list to try and make now! Great job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spaetzle look so good. I made egg pasta for the challenge, but I'm going to try my hand at spaetzle next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Your spaetzle looks fantastic! Funny how everyone was intimidated about it when it turned out to be so easy and delicious! Your brown-butter sage sauce sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you took a chance and tried it. It's one of those recipes that you can experiment with forever... hope you continue to have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete