Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Cookie Carnival: Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies


There have been lots of people staying at the Walden house where my mom volunteers.  More people means more cookies are needed and so I was excited when both of the Cookie Carnival recipes were announced. They need cookies that can be frozen and taken out as needed. While I have a nice rotation of cookie recipes I use, it always excites me when I come across a challenge recipe that can be used for them.  You see, if I don't give the cookies away then I end up eating them... this is not good! Nope, its always best if I can give the goodies away! The first recipe I will share with you is the Double-Chocolate Espresso Cookies; a Taste of Home recipe .  The review for the cookie were good, although some people complained of the mix being too thin.  I believe this was due to their not beating the sugar and eggs long enough to thicken.  Its important to beat it for at least three minutes...maybe longer depending on your mixer.  It took me about 4 1/2 minutes to get it the thick and lemon-color that I wanted.
Double-Chocolate Espresso Cookies
taste of home magazine
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
In a small heavy saucepan, melt unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup chocolate chips and butter with coffee granules; stir until smooth.  Remove from the heat; set aside to cool.
my butter was super soft so I didn't need to cube it.
In a small bowl, beat sugar and eggs for 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored.  Beat in the chocolate mixture.  Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the chocolate mixture.  Stir in remaining chips.

See how thick my Batter turned out!
 Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and tops are cracked.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.  
Yield: 3 dozen






No comments:

Post a Comment