Friday, August 19, 2011

Chocolate Pudding Bars

Print Friendly and PDF
I just returned from a fabulous weekend getaway with my husband.  We visited around the Portland, Oregon area then went up to visit our son in Seattle, Washington.  There was a garlic festival in North Plains, Oregon (not far from Portland) and we tried some interesting things such as garlic ice cream and garlic chocolate truffles.

The trip was great and was much needed.  I found some great books at the Borders Book stores we visited.  Sad that they are closing their stores but I was quite happy with the bargains I found on cookbooks.  One of the books I picked up was "Sandra Lee Bake Sale Favorites." I'm not a huge fan of using all the convenience foods she uses but the recipes seemed like good ones that I could easily adapt with home made products (instead of cake mixes or cookies mixes, etc.). One recipe really called out to me... Chocolate Pudding Bars.  I pretty much followed the recipe using the cake mix and pudding mix. I was feeling lazy from our trip but seriously craving chocolate! Her recipe calls for  using a butter recipe chocolate cake mix and I substituted for what I had on hand with a vanilla cake mix.  Those of us that ate it agreed that using the vanilla cake mix made the other chocolate ingredients really pop out in flavor. I think using a chocolate cake mix would have been a bit much, but feel free to use which ever one you like!
Chocolate Pudding Bars

12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 package (18.25 ounces) vanilla cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups chocolate milk
1 package (5.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix

Directions
Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl: set aside.  In a small sauce pan, heat cream until just about boiling. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and let set for three minutes before stirring.  Mix until smooth; set aside to cool and thicken
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cook-86
75.ing spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, and melted butter; stir until mixed.  Batter will be thick. Spread in prepared baking pan.
Bake about 15 or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few sticky crumbs on it.  Cool in pan on wire rack.  
In a large bowl, combine chocolate milk and pudding mix; whisk together until slightly thickened. Spread pudding mixture evenly over the cooked cake.  
Top the pudding layer with an even layer of the thickened chocolate mixture.  Chill about 2 hours or until top sets.  Cut into bars and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Yields 16 servings.



No comments:

Post a Comment