Thursday, August 4, 2011

Southwest Frito Pie



I was searching through my Taste of Home magazine trying to come up with something quick and easy to make for dinner.  To be honest, I was a bit out of ingredients in my house but was too lazy to go shopping.  When I came across the recipe for the Southwest Frito Pie, the picture alone enticed me.  I changed it up a bit and it was a pretty good dish.  I wish I would have had some fresh tomato and avocado, but there's always another day!  The original recipe called for only one can of beans but I wanted it to be more substantial so used two cans of beans.

Southwest Frito Pie
adapted from a recipe of Janet Scoggins, Taste of Home magazine

2 pounds extra lean ground beef  
1/2 onion, diced 
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons all purpose flour  
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups water
1 can (15 ounce) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
Frito brand corn chips
Optional Toppings:
2 cups lettuce, chopped
1 1/2 cups  shredded Mexican cheese mix
1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
Sour cream
fresh minced cilantro

Directions:
In a large skillet, or dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink: drain off grease if you have an excess of grease. I didn't need to drain off anything because I used extra lean ground beef.
Stir in the chili powder, flour,cumin, salt and garlic powder until blended: gradually stir in water.
Add the beans and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat: simmer, uncovered for 12-15 minutes or until thickened (may need to add a bit more flour to get the consistency you like), stirring occasionally.
To serve, place chips inside bowls, top with been mixture and desired toppings.
Serves 6
I put the chips on the bottom and around the sides


No comments:

Post a Comment