Friday, October 21, 2011

Chex Brittle


Fall season at the Thiele household means snacking.  OK, you got me... any season for us is snacking season.  But in the fall I tend to gravitate towards crunchy handfuls of snack foods.  A particular favorite of ours is caramel corn (find the recipe here )  Lately I have been craving salty/sweet and I was really hoping to find a snack mix that would fulfill that itch.  While this is a pretty darn good tasting recipe, it wasn't what I was looking for.  I tossed it with some popcorn salt after it came out of the oven, which made a big difference, and I added some caramel candy corn.  
Chex Brittle
adapted from chex.com
8 cups Chex Rice cereal
1 cup salted peanuts
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
popcorn salt, optional
candy corn, optional
Heat oven to 325 degrees F.  Spray two 15x10x1-inch pans with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix cereal, peanuts, condensed milk and vanilla until evenly coated.
  Spread in pans making a single layer.
Bake 12 minutes.   Remove from oven and lightly sprinkle with popcorn salt, if desired. Spread on waxed paper to cool, about fifteen minutes.  Break into pieces and add candy corn.  Store in airtight container



No comments:

Post a Comment