Friday, June 8, 2012

Chocolate Cottage Cheese Cookies

While recovering from the surgery, I used some of the time to go through all my old cookbooks.  I have three cookbooks from our church.... we ladies do like to cook!  It is fun to see how cooking styles have changed over the years.  One recipe I came across was for Cottage Cheese Cookies and I thought it would be a great one to try out for the Walden house.  I thought there was too much sugar in the recipe and so I cut the sugar down and I added in cocoa powder.  The result was a a nice cake like cookies (reminded me of snackwells... remember those?) and it was not overly sweet.  I think if I was going to make them for kids I would keep the sugar at the normal amount and not reduce.  Pushing the cottage cheese through a strainer first would also eliminate the little chunks of cottage cheese I had in them.  Personally, I didn't mind the cottage cheese pieces, but it may look like chunks of baking powder or soda in it to some people.  Overall, we thought it was a keeper recipe.


Chocolate Cottage Cheese Cookies
Mountain viewcookbook;  Adey Altmeyer
Made june 4

2 cups margarine
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups brown sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla
4eggs
2 cups cottage cheese
5 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
1 cup cocoa
1 cup chopped nuts

Cream together, margarine, sugars, vanilla, eggs and cottage cheese.  Mix together, flour baking powder, soda, salt and cocoa.  Add to creamed mixture; add nuts and blend.  Mix well and chill for several hours.  Roll walnut size balls in powdered sugar.  Bake at 350° on greased cookie sheet for 12 to 15 minutes.  Keep dough in fridge between sheets to keep chilled
Yields 7 dozen cake cookies
Notes Reduced brown sugar to 1 cup and granulated sugar to 1 ¾ cup



1 comment:

  1. Oh I hope you're feeling better - these look and sound SO good - such a good idea to reduce the sugar!
    MAry x

    ReplyDelete