Monday, June 4, 2012

Korean Pork and Slaw

One good thing.... well, two since one of them is having the problem resolved... is that I've been able to get my recipes organized and a meal plan completed for the month.  Since I'm going to continue on with the  WW plan it will allow me to know how many points I have set aside for dinner, therefor making it easier for me to plan out lunch and breakfast.  An added bonus is that it will also keep me on budget :-)

While these chops were good... it was agreed upon that for our tastes it wasn't "great."  So, you may ask, Why am I blogging about them?  Well, because this is a Lets Try blog and some things will be successful and others not so much.  I also believe that not everyone may not have the same taste as us and they may find these to delicious.  Which side will you be on? You won't know unless you give them a try.  
Korean Pork and Slaw
adapted from eatingwell.com

4 servings, 1 pork chop & 1 1/2 cups slaw each | 4 points per serving

Ingredients
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided  (I used olive oil)
3 small cloves garlic, minced, divided
4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce  (I used soy)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon lime juice  (We thought it needed more of a tang so made this addition)
6 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage   (I only had red cabbage on hand so used that)
4 radishes, cut into matchsticks
4 scallions, thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed  (I used boneless, leaner and what I had on hand)

Directions:
Preheat grill to medium.
Whisk together the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 teaspoons chili powder, sugar, soy, cayenne pepper, radishes, lime juice and scallions; toss to coat. Set aside
Take the remaining garlic and 2 teaspoons of chili powder, salt, 1 teaspoon of oil, and make a paste.  I just threw it all in my small Cuisinart.  Divide paste in half; rub each side of the chops with half of the rub.
Grill the pork chops, turning once, until cooked through, it was about 4 minutes per side on our grill. 
Make the slaw: Chop, or slice your cabbage and toss with the dressing.  Serve with pork.  We found that it produced the best flavor when it was a bit with both pork and slaw.
Nutrition
Per serving : 304 Calories; 17 g Fat;  8 g Carbohydrates; 29 g Protein; 3 g Fiber;

No comments:

Post a Comment