Friday, June 15, 2012

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup

 Since soups fall under the category of " foods I'm able to eat," I made this for dinner the other night.  I'm still having a difficult time swallowing and ended up sticking my serving into the blender.... nummy.... pureed soup.  Seriously folks, this is getting old.
But at least there was flavor to be had and it met with rave reviews.  Even my grandsweetie had two bowls!  The original recipe is from an old Light and Tasty magazine and can be found here  I doubled the recipe and added a few other things.  This is definitely a keeper recipe that will certainly be on my soup rotations this fall. My husband, bless his heart, is becoming more brave with foods every year.  But since I love this guy so much.... so very much... I accommodate him by giving the tomatoes a quick whirl in the blender.  My broth turned out to be quite red because of that.  If you leave the tomatoes whole the broth will be clear.

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup

Ingredients

3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each)  chicken broth
1-3/4 cups water
1 can (14-1/2 ounces)diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, undrained
1 can (16 ounces)  cannellini beans, drained and rinshed
1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped (I chopped mine more fine)
 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional

Directions
In a dutch oven or large soup pan, crumble and brown the sausage until it is no longer pink.  Remove the sausage from the pan and let the grease drain off onto a paper towel.  Safe just a slight remainder of the grease, in the pot, and drain off the excess; add the onion, carrots, garlic, basil, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft and onions are translucent.  Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Add the tortellini and cook for about eight minutes or until the noodles become tender.  Reduce the heat and add the spinach; cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 more minutes.  Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese, if desired.
 Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).



No comments:

Post a Comment