Tuesday, April 20, 2010

utterly sinful chocolate chip cookies

Print Friendly and PDF

I'm a huge fan of chocolate chip cookie dough, but not so much of the baked variety.  I know, I know... its incorrect to eat raw cookie dough these days.  But hey, I'm just telling it like it is :-)
My son and husband love chocolate chip cookies but we were always in search of that perfect cookie.  One that didn't come out all flat and greasy, nor one that came out to cake like.  This cookie is the one.  Hands down the best baked chocolate chip cookie I have ever tasted. 
I've just become aware of a television show on PBS called, "America's Test Kitchen."  The show has been out ten years so it only goes to show you how far out of the loop I am these days!  They have an awesome web site here that has all the recipes from this season available for free but if you want previous season recipes it will cost you.  This recipe is from the January 2010 episode, "The Cookie Jar."  What intrigued me was that the recipe calls for melted butter.  Nope, not a typo... butter that is melted and browned to release the nutty flavor.  It was a new technique for me but sure worth learning! I followed the recipe by weighing the ingredients instead of measuring.  I also used their "top" taste test choice of chocolate chips; Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips.  Be sure to mix the ingredients exactly as the recipe states - it is the key to making these perfectly delicious cookies!

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
from America's Test Kitchen

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks 
3/4 cup chopped pecan or walnuts, toasted (optional)

Directions:
1. For best result  adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Melt 10 tablespoons butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Continue to cook the melted butter until butter is dark golden brown (it took me about five minutes).. Remove skillet from heat. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, The trick to this recipe is to let the mixture rest for three minutes then blend for 30 seconds, repeating this process 2 more times. Add in flour mixure until just combined; Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), mix until just blended. 

4. Ok, I didn't follow their directions exactly.  I made smaller cookies using my 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop.  I had to adjust the baking time to 8-10 minutes since I was  making smaller cookie size.

5. The second trick is to only bake the cookies one tray at a time... which I always do any way.. and rotate the baking sheet halfway through.  Made about 30 cookies for me.


2 comments:

  1. Chocolate & pecans!! Sound wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soft cookies or crunchy ? I luv crunchy

    ReplyDelete