Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chocolate Mint Tea Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF
       I've been wanting to experiment a bit using tea and came across this Chocolate Mint Tea by Stash. Sounds amazing, doesn't it!! I cheated and picked up a box cake mix... shhh, don't tell! It is just the basic yellow cake mix by Betty Crocker.
     I brewed 1 1/4 cups of tea using four of the tea bags and let it steep for fifteen minutes. I wasn't sure if this would be strong enough but since I was experimenting who cared?? I just used the brewed tea in place of the water the box package asked for. The taste is indeed melded throughout the cupcake. Topped with some frosting I found in an old Betty Crocker book (again using brewed tea in the frosting) and used some chopped up mint Three Muskateers bars for decoration.
Chocolate Mint Tea Butter Frosting
5 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup Milk (I heated the milk and put two tea bags
 in to seep for fifteen minutes)
1 teaspoon Vanilla (I omitted because I wanted a stronger mint flavor)
1 cup Butter, softened
1 cup Granulated Sugar (Do NOT use Powdered Sugar!)

Directions
Using a small sauce pan, whisk flour into milk and heat, until it thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the cooled milk mixture and beat until it all combines. The mixture will look a bit like whipped cream.  Because of the milk, your cake or cupcakes should be refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment