Friday, July 16, 2010

Monthly Challenge: Part Two Basil

Print Friendly and PDF
I was a bit disappointed in the Strawberry Soup (although very very tasty) being rather soup-less.  So I thought with another attempt I would use Basil.  This is my first year of having success with growing my herbs in pots out on my deck.  My basil is especially lush and abundant and so I put together this recipe for Penna Carbonara with Basil Lemon Cream that I found here.  I loved the cream but honestly found more of the aroma of Lemon rather than any taste of lemon.  But ohhhhhh, this recipe is indeed lovely.
  The recipe claims to serve four but even with the three of us putting a good amount into our bellies there was still enough for all of us to eat it again for another meal. Also, because my hubby hates vegetables mixed in pasta dishes I had to omit the veggies.  Nuts are another no no for meals so the pine nuts were left out.  This is probably a good thing with the price of pine nuts these day!
Penne Carbonara With Basil Lemon Cream
Yield: 4 Servings

1/4 cup Smoked bacon, chopped  I used half a pound of bacon... never can have too much bacon!
2 oz. Butter
1 tsp. Garlic, minced  I used one clove garlic
1/4 cup Onion, diced  Used half of an onion
1 cup Mixed vegetables: carrot, peas, corn, Lima beans, green beans omitted
2 tsp. Pine nuts, toasted omitted
1 1/2 cup Chef Larry's Basil Lemon Cream (recipe follows)  I ended up using all the cream sauce because I felt it was too dry at the 1 1/2 cup amount
1 1/4 lb. Penne Rigate pasta, cooked "al dente"
1 tsp. Parsley, chopped
to taste Salt
to taste Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup Shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)  I served with a tons of Parmesan... for me, Parmesan cheese is never optional!
to garnish Fresh chopped parsley
Method:
     Prepare Chef Larry's Basil Lemon Cream per recipe, reserve. Cook bacon in a sauté pan over medium heat until cooked. Add butter, garlic and onion. Sauté garlic briefly, do not brown. Add mixed vegetables and pine nuts. To heat pasta: place cooked pasta in lightly salted simmering water for 1-2 minutes to reheat (do not overcook.) Remove pasta from water and drain well. Add heated pasta to sauté pan with bacon and vegetables. Stir in enough of Chef Larry's Basil Lemon Sauce to coat pasta and vegetables. (Add sauce in intervals until pasta and vegetables are nicely coated.) Season pasta with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add 2/3 tsp. of chopped and mix well. Portion pasta into heated pasta bowls. Top with optional shaved Parmesan cheese and additional chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Basil Lemon Cream
Yield: 2 cups

1 tsp. Butter
1 tsp. Shallots, minced  I used half of a shallot but could easily use onion
1/4 tsp. Garlic, minced  I used one clove garlic
2 oz. White wine
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock  only had canned chicken broth on hand
2/3 cup Heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. Fresh lemon juice
to taste Salt
to taste Fresh ground black pepper
8 Basil leaves, finely minced
as needed Roux to thicken (equal parts flour and melted butter)  I used 1 tablespoon butter melted with enough flour to make a paste 
Method:

Melt butter in a saucepan, do not brown. Add shallots and garlic, sauté briefly. Add white wine, bring to a simmer and reduce by 1/2. Add stock, bring to a simmer. Cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes. Add roux to achieve desired consistency, continue to simmer. Add cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Finish with fresh minced basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment